I'll let Bob explain this one...You hear about "the first sonogram" all the time - they're going to do this, and put that there, and look around, but you never really know what to expect - or how much they're going to zoom in. The whole biology of pregnancy and fetal development really intrigues me - amazing that two tiny little cells coming together ultimately end up as a human being. Our first sonogram was around 6 weeks - still pretty early, so I didn't expect much. We went into the sonogram room - there's this big machine with a monitor and all sorts of buttons, and, well, probes. These days, they're pretty high-tech, but there's still something to be said for getting up close and personal. I'll spare the details, but let's just say that while the sonogram technician and I were chatting about where the egg came from (right ovary), and how she could tell, and where the "baby" was, and how big it was at the time (slightly smaller that a poppy seed), and that we actually heard the beginnings of a heartbeat and saw it on screen. It was 83 beats per minute, but at that point, the heart was barely formed. We'll wait to the next visit to really see some development. So, that was about it - got to see a tiny little black and white dot on a black and white screen - looked more like a TV with no signal, but it was my baby - and confirmation that indeed, my little dudes swam and did what they're supposed to do!
1 comment:
Papa Bob - I love how intrigued you are by the biology of pregnancy. That's awesome - except for the prolonged "wanding" : ) it will be great for Mama Heather to have such great support from you.
Post a Comment